How to Keep Warm When Camping

I actually burnt myself on this - sympathy?
I've got a few blogging friends who have written numerous articles about camping, but none post anything along the lines of keeping warm when the cold night draws in. That's key right? To keep warm.

When it comes to camping in cold weather, in fact any weather, with some simple tips like the following you're able to ensure you have the correct equipment to help keep you and your camping companions comfortable, warm, and make the nighttime more bearable. After all, a tent is only thin, therefore you're bound to get cold no matter what the weather's mood is.

Swedish Torch

I've recently stumbled upon a video on YouTube of a guy building a campfire, with just one log - insane. Basically, you'll need one log - half a metre will do. With a saw, cut a cross shape down the middle and around 3/4 of the log deep. Then, burn something in the middle of the cross and apply a few extra twigs/sticks on top - the end result is that the burning on top will eventually burn down to the middle of the log. 

Lifehacker wrote a post with an incredible written tutorial on how to do this, or you can simply watch the video.

Sleeping Mats & Air Beds

In the past, I've used air beds. They have their pros, such as the comfiness and how easy they are to put up, but they also have their cons. This would be the weight and I can tell you for a fact this is not the lightest pack I've ever had. On the plus side, you can instead pack sleeping mats. These are rollable, thin and just sit on top of your pack. 

The point of having both of these mattress type objects for camping is they keep you from sleeping on the floor with just a sleeping bag. The floor underneath a tent, especially during the night, isn't the warmest. 

A DIY tip for you all, which I have tried previously, is to undo the sleeping bag hem and place the sleeping mat within the sleeping bag. It may take up a little more room, but it saves you unclipping, unfolding, refolding and reclipping.

Clothing

It's not rocket science, wearing something warm to bed is always key. And don't think because it was '20+ degrees today' that you don't need to wear warm clothing; because the chances are you will get cold as night sets in. 

When I camp, I generally take along my pyjamas that I use at home. Not just because they are warm, but because they are lightweight. Check out my post where I talk about lightweight clothing. Bring some of those warm and fluffy socks too! You don't want blue feet. 

Accessories & Other Tips

Taking along a hot water bottle will increase the warmth of your sleeping bag too. It's light in the pack and the water can be used again for the next night if reheated. Do not drink the water you once used to keep yourself warm though, it could be a very bad thing - read this article.

More bodies, more heat. Body heat is a great way to keep warm when camping. Have you ever been to a nightclub, wearing just a t-shirt and jeans, thin socks and leather shoes? I have and the body heat is so intense, I had to go outside and chill with the smokers (I don't smoke, just needed air). And no, I am not on about rumpus camping.

If you're like me, and spend most of your travels around Europe - particularly cold countries - then don't assume you only need a sleeping bag. Bring along extra, lightweight but effective blankets to keep you warm.